So why is it your cat always knows when to get under your feet? It appears the mischievous cat certainly knows where to be and what to be doing at the right place and time in your home. Check out our Cat's Instruction Manual, and find out what is really going on.
- Always accompany guests to the bathroom. It is not necessary to do anything. Just sit and stare.
- Do not allow any closed doors in any room. To get the door open, stand on hind legs and hammer with forepaws. Once door is opened, it is not necessary to use it.
- After you have ordered an 'outside' door opened, stand halfway in and halfway out and think about several things. This is particularly important during very cold weather, rain, snow or mosquito season.
Chairs and Rugs
- If you have to throw up, get to a chair quickly. If you cannot manage in time, get to an Oriental rug. If there is no Oriental rug, a shag is good. When throwing up on the carpet, make sure you back up so it is as long as a human's bare foot.
If one of your humans is engaged in some activity and the other is idle, stay with the busy one. This is called 'hampering'. Following are the rules for hampering:
- When supervising cooking, sit just behind the left heel of the cook. You cannot be seen and thereby stand a better chance of being stepped on and then picked up and comforted.
- For book readers, get in close under the chin, between eyes and book - unless you can lie across the book itself.
- When human is working at computer, jump up on desk, walk across keyboard, bat at mouse pointer on screen and then lay in human's lap across arms, hampering typing in progress.
- As often as possible, dart quickly and as close as possible in front of a human, especially on stairs when they have something in their arms, in the dark, and when they first get up in the morning. This will help their coordination skills.
- Always sleep on the human at night so they cannot move around.
- When using the litter box, be sure to kick as much litter out of the box as possible. Humans love the feel of kitty litter between their toes.
- Every now and then, hide in a place where the humans cannot find you. Do not come out for three or four hours under any circumstances. This will cause the humans to panic (which they love) thinking that you have run away or are lost. Once you do come out, the humans will cover you with love and kisses and you probably will get a treat.
One Last Thought
Whenever possible, get close to a human, especially their face, turn around and present your bum to them. Humans love this so do it often. And don't forget the guests.