If your pet has been stung by a bee or insect, please follow the instructions below.
- Carefully remove the sting and bathe the area with cool water
- Restrict exercise to help decrease blood supply to the area and therefore pain and swelling
- Observe your pet carefully
- You may notice slight changes such as puffiness in the face, lips and eyes as well as "lumpy" looking skin in the bite area
- A bee sting can be lethal if your pet has an allergic reaction to the sting. If your pet is uncomfortable or you notice severe facial and/or neck swelling, difficulty breathing, excessive salivation, collapse or a significant number of lumps in the skin, your pet may be experiencing an allergic reaction. Treat this situation as a medical emergency and see your veterinarian immediately
Pets can have what we call an anaphylactic reaction, better known as an allergic reaction. They are most commonly associated with a bee sting but can also occur following any insect bite or sometimes contact with toxic plants. Thankfully we can treat them very effectively if caught early enough.